Laboratory Manager – Distillery
Laboratory Manager – Distillery (Kilombero)
Job Title LABORATORY MANAGER DISTILLERY
Job Grade D2
Line Manager Job Title PRODUCTION MANAGER
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
To manage the Quality Control Laboratory within a specified budget by providing a prompt and efficient service to fellow customers and ensuring Good Laboratory Practices at all times.
BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Manages the Quality Control laboratory and provide an efficient service to the Production, Stores and SHERQ departments
• Make the final decision to release or reject final product, in-process product and raw materials
• Responsible for the control of laboratory stock, including analytical reagents and laboratory consumables.
• Co-ordination of all laboratory analysis
CUSTOMER AND STAKEHOLDER ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Provides analytical back up to resolve customer complaints and queries.
• Participates in internal auditing exercises on various departments, ensuring that the processes are compliant with the relevant standard operating procedures.
OPERATIONAL PROCESSES ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Responsible for calibration of all analytical instruments in the laboratory.
• Responsible for certification of reference standards used for analysis.
• Responsible for validation of laboratory equipment and test procedures.
• Maintenance and control of laboratory equipment software including back up and storage.
• Is responsible for problem solving and investigating out of specification results.
• Is responsible for trouble-shooting with regard to instrumentation and analytical procedures. Performs maintenance and repairs on laboratory equipment.
• Prepares, updates and controls QC related standard operating procedures ensuring that the quality systems complies with the requirements of various regulatory bodies that the distillery subscribes to.
• Prepares and issues quality control reports and communicates this to the wider distillery team
PEOPLE AND LEADERSHIP ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Selects and co-ordinates staff by setting work objectives and by providing training and development to staff ensuring that they are adequately equipped to perform their jobs efficiently.
• Provides coaching and development of personnel to achieve the team’s purpose and the individual’s own aspirations.
Talent Management of Direct Reports
• 4 Direct Reports
• In conjunction with the Production Manager:-
o Ensure that Direct Reports have Performance plans (KPA’s)
o Compiles TOAPS for Direct Reports
o Monitoring and Conducting Performance Reviews
o Conducting Career Discussions
Development of Direct Reports
• Identifying skills gaps with Direct Reports (include formal training)
• Development Plans
• Coaching/Mentoring of direct reports and other employee’s
Selection and Managing Discipline of Direct Reports
• Disciplinary and Poor Performance Management of Direct Reports
• Recruitment and Selection of vacancies in Direct Report role
FORMAL LEARNING REQUIREMENTS
Essential Required Qualification
• Diploma in Chemistry, Microbiology or Chemical Engineering
• Degree in Chemistry, Microbiology or Chemical Engineering
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
• Has conducted chemical analysis and worked with trouble-shooting laboratory instrumentation
• Supervisory experience in a laboratory
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
• Computer literacy
• Troubleshooting laboratory instrumentation problem
• Good housekeeping practices
• Good manufacturing practices
• Basic business understanding
• Industrial Relations
• People management and leadership
• Co-ordination and communication skills
• Problem solving skills
Job Status: Full Time
Job Type: Permanent
Salary Range: Not Mentioned
Job Level: Executive/Skilled Level